Thursday, October 13, 2011

Kevin and I gave talks in Sacrament Meeting this past Sunday so I wanted to take a minute for a little journaling about that.

We were asked to watch General Conference (Oct. 1st and 2nd) and come up with our own topic based on a talk that stood out to us. We both really liked the very first talk of the Saturday morning session. It was about using the scriptures. Not just reading, but studying and even memorizing our favorite verses.

As Kevin called me out when his talk began, I "cheated" and used two other talks in mine as well. In the end I decided on these three -

The Power of Scripture
RICHARD G. SCOTT
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

A Witness
HENRY B. EYRING
First Counselor in the First Presidency

The Book of Mormon—a Book from God
TAD R. CALLISTER
Of the Presidency of the Seventy

Elder Scott talks about the complete standard works and about his love for the Old and New Testaments in addition to the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. President Eyring tells a story about how even as an apostle he needs the remarkable example shown by different people in the Book of Mormon. President Callister's talk is about the Book of Mormon as well and receiving a basic testimony of its truth.

I jumped around a lot in my own talk and gave a couple of personal examples, like when I took Moroni's challenge myself and how hard it is for me to be consistent with reading my scriptures every day.  A couple of my favorite quotes from the Conference talks are -

"Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change. For example, committing to memory this psalm has been for me a source of power and understanding" - Elder Scott

"Pondering a passage of scripture can be a key to unlock revelation and the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Ghost. Scriptures can calm an agitated soul, giving peace, hope, and a restoration of confidence in one’s ability to overcome the challenges of life. They have potent power to heal emotional challenges when there is faith in the Savior. They can accelerate physical healing." Elder Scott

"Would you like to have emblazoned on your soul an undeniable witness that the Savior descended beneath your sins and that there is no sin, no mortal plight outside the merciful reach of His Atonement—that for each of your struggles He has a remedy of superior healing power? Then read the Book of Mormon." - President Callister


"Your copy of the Book of Mormon may be hidden from your view by cares and attention to all you have accumulated in your journey. I plead with you to drink deeply and often from its pages. It has in it the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is the only way home to God." - President Eyring


There was no coordination between us but it turned out that Kevin and I picked completely different quotes to use from Elder Scott's talk, so there wasn't really any overlap in ours talks when we gave them. I spoke for most of the time and only gave Kevin about 8 minutes for his talk but he had said that would be ok. He really enjoyed the second half of Elder Scott's talk because he basically just gave references for some of his personal favorite scriptures and talked about what they meant to him. So that's what Kevin ended up doing with his 8 minutes. The scriptures he talked about were -

Matthew 5:44
Mosiah 2:41
2 Nephi 25:26

The 2nd counselor in the stake presidency, President Jones, was visiting our ward that Sunday so he was there for our talks, too. He found Kevin and me individually after sacrament meeting to tell us he liked our talks. I thought it was funny because he told me I was "lively". I guess that means he wasn't bored :-). I hope everyone else in the congregation felt the same way even though I talked so long. He also asked me where I was from and when I said "mostly Kansas," he said "Well, welcome to the south." I always really enjoy President Jones' talks in stake conference so I appreciated his compliments even extra.

I hope everyone else enjoyed General Conference as much as I did. I actually enjoyed having to go back and study so soon afterwards so I could prepare a talk. Now I just need to follow my own advice and get back to reading like I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment