Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cake!

A couple Sundays ago I volunteered to bring a sheet cake to the Missionary Zone Conference to be held Friday the 13th at noon. After my minor cupcake success of early May 2011, I thought for sure I could pull off making the cake from scratch. Well, to make a long story short, the missionaries received cupcakes from Publix instead.

I got halfway through the recipe, I'd even already separated the egg whites and had my other main ingredients sitting in their bowls. Then I realized that I really wasn't halfway through the recipe. I still needed to beat the egg whites and fold in gently and about 50 other things stood between me and getting this cake to the church on time. 11:05am + who knows how long to finish the batter + 35 minutes (at least) for cake to bake + 15 minute drive time + cake due at the church by 11:30am = stop trying to make this work and go buy something else to bring! I shoved the perishable ingredients back in the fridge and went to Publix for the second time in a 1 hour period. Hence the cupcakes. I'm sure they enjoyed them, I didn't hang around long enough to find out.   

But as I said, I already had the batter in the works and I didn't want to waste any of the ingredients. So when I got home later that night (after various additional errands and outings), I pulled those egg whites back out of the fridge and finished my little project. 


Recipes:
Frosting:

Cake:

I took my time and followed the recipes exactly and it turned out pretty well. As you can see it's just a basic white cake with chocolate frosting so nothing fabulous but, as Kevin so astutely put it, I "didn't mess it up." I'm definitely getting better at this. What should I try next?

No comments:

Post a Comment