Tuesday, March 1, 2011

St. Patty’s Day Iron-on

I was cruisin’ through Targét with my boys the other day and I got a kick out of this little Irish tuxedo T-shirt they had for sale. I had no desire to pay the $15 they wanted for it and I knew I had a little plain green Hobby Lobby t-shirt at home that I’d actually been saving to use for just such an occasion.

IMG_3670
So I came home and did a little web surfing for some more inspiration. I found this design at Cafepress...
...and I liked the button (it says "I'M HERE FOR THE GOLD") but not too much else about it. So I grabbed a couple more examples…

501424790_400x400_Front_Color-White irish-tuxedo-tshirt

…imported them into my Corel program to give myself something to look at, and started creating my own design free hand.

irish tux
Click to open larger in new screen if you want to print for use.
The clover is the W from the Scrapicons font from dafont.com. I used Photoshop to make a nice beveled button and then brought it back into Corel to put the text on it (I don’t love the resolution on text in Photoshop). And there you have it. To complicate (and simplify) the matter a bit further I decided I wanted to make this into a Print & Cut for my Silhouette so I wouldn’t have to worry about any white outline left behind by me and my scissors. So I imported it into my Silhouette Studio library and played with the trace function, etc, etc, until I got the cutline to do just what I wanted it too. (So if you have a Silhouette and would like the Print & Cut file I made, shoot me a comment and I’ll gladly email it to you.)

In order to keep the white parts of the design white on a green shirt, I used the HP Iron-on Transfers for Colored fabrics which meant when I selected “T-Shirt Transfers” as my media and my printer automatically mirrored the image, I had to cancel printing and start over and figure out how to NOT mirror the image. Wouldn’t have mattered if there wasn’t any text but having that button means you gotta make sure you print it out according to your iron-on package instructions (some need mirroring and some don’t).

Anyway, after letting my transfer dry for 30 minutes, I hooked up my Silhouette and sent my transfer through for cutting. Then I followed the package instructions for ironing my design to my little green shirt.

iron

And then it was picture time!

My Little Leprechaun
They’re really good at hiding...
but if you ever catch a leprechaun...
you get to make a wish.

I know because these two help mine come true every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment