Friday, April 22, 2011

Musical Confessions

Who here can't get enough of Pandora Radio? I for one love to put on my "MMMBop" Radio station whenever I'm cleaning and rock out to 90's pop tunes to my heart's content. I realize I may be dating myself a bit by that last admission and even more by this next one, but the first concert I ever went to when I was in junior high was Hanson. I went through various phases in relation to them over the years. I spent that first concert screaming, crying, yelling "I love you Taylor!", and talking my friend Julie into holding me on her shoulders so I could see better over the crowd. I went home and spent the next few months using my allowance to buy the Tulsa, Tokyo and The Middle of Nowhere tour video, the Snowed In Christmas album (on cassette tape) and every Teen Beat or Seventeen magazine with their picture on it I could get my hands on. I was mostly obsessed with Taylor (even after realizing if you looked at the two of us from just the right angle, we looked remarkably similar.)


That first phase also overlapped a bit with my next one, which was my "oh yeah, Hanson is lame" phase when I didn't have enough self esteem to have or express my own opinions on just about anything. Around the end of high school was my "Taylor's married?? I guess Ike just got cuter" phase. I was reintroduced to their music with "Penny and Me" on the radio around 2004 and was finally at a place in time where I was confident enough to acknowledge my likes and dislikes without thinking twice about it. I liked it.

I'm sure each of you will have your own powerful reaction ;-) to the knowledge that I will be 26 in May and am a one-time closet Hanson fan. I have screamed myself hoarse at a Backstreet Boys concert in my lifetime. If you care to know, I also love me some Country music. Darius Rucker is awesome as a country solo artist AND in Hootie and the Blowfish. Both my husband and I are suckers for sappy 80's love songs. I could go on but the question I have to put to you is: can it be a guilty pleasure if I don't feel guilty?

What are your guilty/not-so-guilty musical pleasures?

No comments:

Post a Comment