Monday, March 28, 2011

Alphabet Treasure Hunt

This is a little activity my mom came up with for me when I was two. She made two copies of each letter of the alphabet. Then she would post one set all around on the walls at my eye level. She would give me one of the second set of letters and tell me to go find the one that matched. My mom was pregnant with her third baby in three years at the time (and insanely morning sick) and this game gave her the ability to rest while I would go on a hunt and bring the letter back to her. Over the years there were other variations, and of course there were times when she could look with us instead of handing us the letter from the couch but this is the general idea. There is actually an article that she wrote all about it in the November edition of knowonder! magazine*. Her article is called "The Amazing Alphabet Adventure" and it's on page 112. You should definitely give it a read. My mom is a mother of 6, she did daycare in our house for years and know she's a elementary school teacher for kids with special needs. She is a veritable fount of knowledge when it comes to creative/educational activities for kids.


Moving on to "little Amy's" present day story. I don't think I've mentioned it on this blog before but my son Alexander is going to be three in July and he's never said a single word. He babbles in his own little boy language but never a word in English (or Spanish. The doctor asked me that once when I said he doesn't speak English, "What language does he speak?" Totally didn't get what I was talking about. So I told her he speaks Curious George.) I know there's plenty of kids out there who didn't talk right away but we can't help but wish he could say things like "Mommy" and "Daddy" and "Yes, mother I am now ready to be potty trained."

Anyway, the reason I share this here is because I've noticed lately that I've been putting off teaching Alexander a lot of different things because he can't talk yet. I've been waiting and so focused on that one thing, I've been slacking in other areas. I've realized now that just because he's delayed in that one aspect, doesn't mean he can't learn things like matching and recognizing his letters, which is all this game requires. So I decided to give my mom's idea a try.



I used velcro for the wall posting, in case you're interested; loop half on the wall (semi permanent but that's how serious I am about this) and the hook part on the back of one set of letters. 

Good letter cards can be used for any number of learning games so I wanted to share some printables. **Free Free Free!** Get all three sets and then you can mix and match as your child becomes more familiar with the upper case block letters.

Upper case print/block letters. Full jpeg alphabet in zip file. 
All Arial font except "I" is Lucida Fax (to distinguish between lower case file "l" and upper case file "I".)
Click for 4shared download


Lower case print/block letters. Full jpeg alphabet in zip file.
All Arial font except letter "a" (to simplify as possible writing guide) 
Click for 4shared download


 Both upper case and lower case cursive letters. Full jpeg alphabet in zip file.
All Learning Curve font with "guidelines" added.
Click for 4shared download

If you read my post from last Thursday you'll remember that I printed my cards out on regular printer paper and then laminated them. Of course you can use whatever paper/card stock you want and they don't have to be laminated to serve their purpose. I just wanted mine to last a really long time.

Here's Alexander trying to get the matching A to stick to the wall, too. Sorry son, no sticky on that one.


I effectively posed this picture, because I called him to me and handed him the A and pointed to the A on the wall. So, no he didn't magically learn "A" overnight. I figure we can practice and have a lot of fun! Here's to better teaching and communication! 

I love you, little boy!


*Story has been moved to a new webpage on knowonder! Click here to see it.

7 comments:

  1. Amy, Thanks for sharing this story. My son Nathan who is now 28 did not start talking until later. He actually had a delayed speech and language developement. He had his own language and we communicated by pointing alot and process of elimination. They thought it was possibly due to the ear infections he had early on, he was not hearing the language sounds properly and thus made up his own. He went to Easter Seals for speech therapy from about the time he was 4 and it was continued when he started school. He needed an extra year to catch up so they had him do a transitional 1st grade. Good luck with your little one...Has his hearing been tested and all that, perhaps some early intervention will get him talking. Best wishes! I'm going to pass this alphabet game on to our grandchildren who are just babies now....Jo
    btw(I'm Jane's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU for sharing YOUR story. It helps me to know it's not just me. Alexander has been in speech therapy for about a year now through Babies Can't Wait. He's going to be transitioning to a special needs preschool in the fall (3 hours either 2 or 3 days a week) because Babies Can't Wait can only help until he turns three. He's had his hearing tested three different times and passed each time. We're trying lots of different things but something tells me he just doesn't see any good reason to talk yet.
    Thanks again for commenting!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    My little boy is 1, he doesn't bable or make hardly any sounds. I know you are thinking, "Lady, He's only 1, give me a break!" But we actually know he will have a lot of speech issues. We actually already have him in feeding and speech therapy as well as physical therapy. He has a syndrome called 22q11 Deletion. 92% of children with this syndrome will have learning and speech problems. We are tryting to start therapy early to hopefully get ahead. With all of that said, I want to thank you for the printables. I'm going to print them off and use them as soon as he is ready. (I do think "1" might be too early fpor letters LOL - :0) However, I am certain, I can use them for my 6 year old now. he's in kindergarten and pretty smart but a little extra work/playing with the alphabet can't hurt him right?

    Thanks again and hang in there with your son. I bet he will be talking your head off one day...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,
    Thank you for your comment. I think it's wonderful that you're already doing therapy with your son. It sounds like you know just what I'm talking about. Also, so glad you like the printables. As long as people like what I put out I'll keep more stuff like this coming.
    Thanks again! Best wishes for you and your boys,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing these! But, I downloaded them both & both are lowercase. Do you have the uppercase one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Heidi. So sorry I didn't have the right files uploaded! I've updated the link so you can just click on the Uppercase picture and give it another try. I tested it to make sure it works.
    Thanks for letting me know!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Amy, I'm excited to use these with my kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete