This is what the front of my dad's tie looked like.
*Edit* - Before I just had the digital file I printed on the transfer paper but I called my sister and had her take a picture of the actual tie so I could swap it out - TaDa!
I got my kids' hand prints (a two person job for the 5 month old, mind you) using Crayola Washable Kids Paint. I let the paint dry and then I scanned them into the computer. I had my sister do the same with her son and then email me the file. Then I threw them all on a page in Photoshop and changed them to black and white and upped the contrast a little. (You could make the hands any color you want but as you can see the fabric I had was bright blue and black was the only thing that looked right with it.) I measured the tie and worked up the layout I wanted. I rotated the whole image diagonally so it could fit on one sheet of transfer paper. In the end though, I didn't like the way the extra iron-on material looked around the hand prints so I cut them apart and trimmed each one separately as close as I could, so setting up the layout for the printing part didn't really matter. Kevin's dad's tie had 6 hand prints on it so I sized the hands down just a smidge to get them to actually fit on the tie. I did them all proportionally, though, so they still looked right lined up together.
For the Iron-On part I used HP Iron-On Transfers and just followed the package instructions. I used Transfers for "light fabrics" for all the black and white stuff, the only thing I used Transfers for "dark fabrics" for was the flower on Bill's tie (check my original post to see what I'm talking about.)
The ties weren't hard to make, even with all my do-overs. So check out my post and Purl Bee's pattern and whip one up for an awesome Fathers' Day gift.
Leave me a comment if you have any questions!

I'm glad you found our blog and visited too :) This is such a great father's day idea! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete